Donors Help SCI Provide Smoother Path to the Best Patient Care
If you’ve been by the Benefis Sletten Cancer Institute in the past couple of months, you’ve seen the new registration windows have opened up along with the large sitting area for patients who are being treated by the Medical Oncology experts at our prized comprehensive cancer care center.
“We’re already hearing from patients that it’s easier to navigate and that the flow is smoother,” said Joe LoDuca, Chief Administration Officer at the Sletten Cancer Institute.
The SCI Renovation Project to expand the number of exam rooms in Medical Oncology and streamline the path to care for our patients and families was completed by early November.
Other benefits of the project included creating office space for up to two new oncology professionals, one main registration area, a combined nurses station in the Infusion Center, one lab for blood draws, one combined pharmacy updated to meet new government standards, and more.
The Benefis Foundation Board of Directors and staff have been fundraising for this project because we believe ease of care for patients can make a difference in their treatments and, therefore, overall health. And making the center more efficient will go hand in hand with the quality of care offered there.
“We receive Generous Hearts recognitions for the care provided by the SCI staff on a regular basis,” said Benefis Foundation President Dan Hollow. “These comments show the care is top notch. This opportunity to make the path easier for people going through one of the most difficult times in their lives means we will be offering the kind of cancer care center the donors who helped build the SCI envisioned.”
From the helpful people who work in billing to the compassionate employees who lead classes and orientations to the skillful caregivers in Medical Oncology and Radiation Oncology to the amazing oncologists, the SCI truly is offering the best possible cancer care for our patients. Here’s what some patients and family members have had to say:
- “I visited Dr. Harrer’s office and on this particular day was having a rough time and not feeling the best. Aria took me back to the room and did so much to make me feel better. Her words were so comforting and her calm, reassuring attitude made me almost forget I was sick for awhile. I feel I couldn’t have been in better hands.”
- “Sue is a gem, full of resources. Her sense of humor helped balance the serious issues we were discussing. I’m glad Sletten has her on their team. She is such an asset to our community.”
- “My wife found something she had never had before: A doctor and staff who changed her mind about anything that has to do with the medical side of life. She no longer has a fear of doctors and she loves everyone who helped us because they all have shown genuine concern about her. This caring continued every time we arrived or spoke with someone on the phone.”
- “Deanna is such a compassionate, caring person. Any questions or concerns or even ‘problems at home’ – she wants to help any way she can. I cannot say enough good things about her.”
- “From day one, you all have made this journey an easy one, and for that we are eternally grateful. You all can take much pride in the help you give to cancer patients. You are indeed a credit to your profession.”
LoDuca said the support donors have given to make this project happen is allowing the Sletten Cancer Institute to create an improved experience for our patients, along with the opportunity for growth.
“We are thankful for the generous people who helped make these environmental improvements so our dedicated staff can continue offering these outstanding services for our patients and their families,” he said.