Benefis Peace Hospice Children's Bereavement Program
The Benefis Peace Hospice Children’s Bereavement Program is available for grieving families who have questions or concerns about children’s grief issues. Through the program, families are educated and supported as they help their child process death and grief. The program offers the following free services:
- Children’s Support Group – The Children’s Support Group, for children ages 5 through 12, is a series of evening sessions that usually run October through March. Here kids connect with others who are also experiencing loss. They support each other and participate in a number of grief activities.
- TAG (Talking About Grief) – Teen support groups are available in high schools. These groups are co-facilitated by a hospice volunteer and a school counselor. Teens benefit from learning about reactions to grief and getting support from their peers.
- Camp Francis – A unique camp experience for grieving kids ages 6 to 12. The five-day camp is held the third week in June in the mountains near Monarch, MT. Campers learn to express their thoughts and feelings about their loss through music, art, games and crafts, with having fun as the top priority. (Read story.)
- Teen Retreat – The Teen Retreat, offered each October, provides teens ages 13 to 18 a chance to connect with peers who have experienced a loss. Activities led by trained facilitators help teens understand and find ways to cope with grief in daily life. (Read story.)
- Children’s Bereavement Christmas Party – Offered to all children and their families who’ve been involved in any of the Children’s Bereavement Program services. Families participate in art and music activities and the evening ends with a small memorial service for their loved one.
The Children’s Bereavement Program is possible thanks to support from Benefis Health System and thoughtful donors and grantors who give through Benefis Health System Foundation. To support these important services, either through making a donation or purchasing wish list items, please call the Benefis Foundation at (406) 455-5840 or click the “Donate Now” button at the top of the page and make a donation through our secure website.
If you'd like to register your child for any of the Children's Bereavement Program services, please call Benefis Peace Hospice at (406) 455-3040.