If you have suffered from a stroke, spinal cord injury or trauma, had a joint replacement or other orthopedic or neurologic condition, the Benefis Rehabilitation Unit may be the intense program you need to get you back to your life.
At Benefis Rehabilitation, our promise is to provide a place "where quality of life counts." Our Rehabilitation Unit is a twenty-bed acute care unit located on the second floor of the West Campus, located at 500 15th Avenue South in Great Falls. With a newly remodeled space designed specifically to enhance your rehabilitation progress, and a highly qualified team of physicians, therapists, nurses, psychologists and others to assist you, we will develop a plan of care based on your goals and focused on your quality of life.
For more than 20 years The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) has recognized the Benefis Rehabilitation Unit for its quality care. Our program has qualified staff that work under the direction of a physiatrist (a physician who specializes in rehabilitation medicine).
Team Member Roles
As specialists in the area of rehabilitation, our physicians are dedicated leaders of the team that cares for you. They have a deep understanding of the impact rehabilitation has on your life and are committed to helping you achieve your absolute best.
- James Hinde, MD, Medical Directory
- Bill Tacke, MD
- Patrick Galvas, MD
- K. Allen Ward, MD
Injury and illness often mean a change in behavior. It always requires an emotional adjustment. Our psychologist is an expert in helping you and your family work through these changes.
Rehabilitation Nurses –
Our rehabilitaiton nurses have special knowledge and credentials validating their expertise in helping you to improve existing abilities, promote health and prevent further impairments. They will help you problem-solve through your disability and promote your safe return to your life.
Physical Therapists –
Skilled at helping you to regain your strength, mobility, coordination and endurance, physical Therapists will work with you toward independence. They will make sure you have the equipment and support you need to help you when you go home.
Occupational Therapy –
It’s the little things in life that can be most frustrating. OT will help you relearn how to do things like making dinner. They are experts in equipment that can make these things easier.
Speech Therapy –
We underestimate the value of the ability to communicate. Frequently, disease and injury can make communication much more difficult. Speech therapists are experts in helping not only speech itself but the memory and thinking process it takes to do it.
Rehabilitation Counselor/Care Coordinator –
Everything becomes complicated when your life is turned upside down by injury or illness. The counselor will help you with the many issues that seem overwhelming, such as emotional needs, financial concerns, family support and added resources. They will arrange for family meetings with the team so you and your loved ones have all the information you need to plan for tomorrow.
Therapeutic Recreation and the Animal Enhanced Therapy program
The Recreational Therapist provides therapeutic recreation for the patients of the Benefis Rehabilitation Unit. The program is designed to assist the patient through a variety of sessions that will promote social, cognitive and physical functioning in a recreational setting. The fun-filled surroundings are designed to promote follow-through of such activities once the patient is discharged from the unit.
While we know being on the rehabilitation unit is hard work, we also realize healing happens during all aspects of the day. It is as important to nurture the social and fun side of your spirit too. Depending on your interests, table games, crafts, discussion groups and even Wii games are part of the stay.
The Animal Enhanced Therapy Program (AETP) uses the amazing healing powers of 15 therapy dogs. Sometimes, a comforting visit from one of these incredible, friendly animals is “just what the doctor ordered.”
Information for Your Stay
The acute inpatient Rehabilitation Unit is a beautiful new space designed to help you meet your goals and help you become very active in your recovery.
Daily activities on the rehabilitation unit include:
- Visits from your Rehabilitation Providers.
- Visits from your medical and/or psychologist as needed.
- Nursing care 24 hours a day.
- Meals will be served in the unit's dining area where you can join in the meal.
- Therapy will be offered seven days a week and will take place in a variety of places including the unit's gym, hallways, your room, dining area and other places as needed.
- Your therapy schedule will be posted on the schedule board daily. Family members and/or friends who may provide support after discharge are encouraged to participate in the therapy sessions.
Visiting hours are 8:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. daily.
Mail is delivered to the unit each day. Ask family and friends to address mail as follows:
Benefis Health System
Rehabilitation Unit, Room Number _____
500 15 Avenue South
Great Falls, MT 59405
For the health and safety of all, the entire campus including buildings, sidewalks, parking lots, etc. are smoke free.
- Each room has a telephone.
- Local calls are free-of-charge.
- Long distance calls must be charged to a home phone, credit card or calling card.
- The hospital cannot accept collect calls.
- Meals are served three times a day.
- Menus are provided, from which the patient can select menu items for the next day.
- Snacks are also available as appropriate for each patient.
- The cafeteria is located on the ground floor for family convenience, and is open from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.,
- Monday through Friday. From 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays, and on weekends and holidays from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. room service is available.
- Mark all clothes with first and last name using a permanent marker.
- Families are encouraged whenever possible to wash the patient's clothes, however staff will provide laundry services if needed.
- Laundry facilities and supplies are available.