Benefis Hospitals West Campus
500 15th Ave South
Great Falls, MT 59405
Benefis Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine Center provides a comprehensive approach to the treatment of chronic, non-healing wounds that do not respond to ordinary methods.
How do I Know If I Need the Services of the Wound Care Center?
Anyone who has a non-healing wound may benefit from this innovative service designed specifically for evaluation and treatment of wounds. Many regular physicians' offices are not equipped with the special supplies and medications used to treat different types of problem wounds. In addition, a physician who has completed additional training in wounds may be helpful in sorting out the underlying cause of lack of healing.
What Type of Wounds Can be Treated at the Wound Care Center?
- diabetic foot ulcers
- non-healing surgical wounds
- venous stasis ulcers
- arterial ulcers
- pressure ulcers
- radiation injuries
- crush injuries
What Would I Experience at the Wound Care Center?
Patients are seen by wound care specialists, a physician and a nurse, during the first visit to the Wound Care Center. A complete medical history and examination of the wound is done, and as necessary, blood or other tests may be performed. After the initial evaluation, the wound management team develops a plan of care based on individual needs. The treatment program involves regular visits to the Wound Care Center, including measurement and evaluation of the wound to ensure proper healing, and to adjust treatment if any changes are necessary. Special medications or procedures that will promote healing may also be utilized.
Patients are always involved in the plan of care and are instructed in ways to help with the healing process, including dressing changes, diet and lifestyle modifications. They are taught to monitor their own progress between visits and are asked to inform the Wound Care Center of any problems. With the patient's permission, individuals who assist with care at home are instructed in how to help with wound treatment.
What Might My Treatment Plan Include?
- Specialized Dressings – some have medicines or chemicals within the fibers of the dressing which promote healing and limit the potential for infection; there are also different levels of absorbency, depending on need. Different types of dressings are indicated for different types of problems.
- Specialized Outer Wraps – some wounds require extra compression of the tissue to heal correctly, while some require a unique shape to hold the dressings in place.
- Nutritional Guidance – wounds need certain vitamins, minerals and proteins in order to heal properly.
- Additional Medical Tests – to get to the underlying cause of why a wound won't heal, other tests may be needed.
- Certain patients may benefit from Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, which promotes wound healing in specific conditions. Our physician will decide if this treatment is appropriate for you.
During Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, the patient lies in a comfortable, clear acrylic chamber that is pressurized with 100% oxygen. This oxygen-rich environment enables the body's natural wound-healing mechanism to function more effectively. A typical treatment plan involves one treatment per day, five days per week, over an approximate five-week period.
Does My Insurance Cover This Service?
Yes. Most insurance plans cover wound care. Your coverage depends on your specific plan. Be sure to bring your insurance card with you on your initial visit.
Do I Need a Physician Referral to be Seen in the Wound Care Center?
No. You may make your own appointment by calling us at 406-455-2688.
Diabetic Foot Care
If you have diabetes:
- Control your diabetes by becoming well educated on the topic.
- Inspect feet daily. Never walk barefoot.
- Test the temperature of water with forearm or elbow.
- Be careful with foreign objects around the house.
For caretakers of older parents or loved ones (especially elderly, bedridden individuals):
- Inspect for wounds.
- Be careful of too-hot water or sharp objects.
- To avoid pressure sores, regular repositioning and good padding are important.
Find us at:
Benefis West Campus
500 15th Avenue South
Great Falls, MT 59405
Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday
8 a.m.-5 p.m.