The Nancy Cameron Medical Education Endowment Scholarship is designed to assist medical school students with tuition and Benefis Health System’s physician recruitment and retention efforts. The Ms Cameron recognizes the urgent and growing need for physicians to serve the people of north central Montana and wish to encourage medical students to choose to come to Benefis Health System for training and later, employment. The scholarship is supported by an endowment created through the generosity of Ms. Cameron.
- To improve recruitment and retention of physicians to better serve our patients and their families.
- To provide access to financial assistance to medical school students.
Nancy Cameron has created a remarkable legacy of generosity in Montana. Although life took her to other parts of the country her first home is Montana. She was born in Great Falls and went to Great Falls High School and studied business at MSU Bozeman. Ms. Cameron worked in public health in Alaska for 16 years while her husband was with the FAA and they lived north of Nome above the artic circle. It was there that she became aware that many families needed basic things- like medical care and access to physicians.
Her husband was eventually transferred to Boise and she has lived there since 1976. She spent many years working for the Episcopal Cathedral in Boise and was witness to many needs in the community.
Ms. Cameron contributes much of her good fortune to her grandfather, father and brother David and their work on the family ranch and she desires to use her resources to help the people of Montana. Like her brother and sister-in-law, David and Tanya Cameron, she believes education is the cornerstone to the success of a community. She has created this scholarship with the goal of attracting and keeping much-needed physicians in our region.
- Applicants must be a student at an accredited medical school with preference given to those students of the Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine, WWAMI students or the future Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine of Montana” to be built in Great Falls.
- Applicant must be in good academic standing.
- Medical School Students must be going into their third or fourth year of clinical rotation.
- Applicant may be requested to participate in a personal interview with the Scholarship Selection Committee.
GENERAL INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Availability of scholarship(s) is determined by Benefis Health System Foundation. Applications are available through the Benefis.org/Foundation. Direct all questions regarding the application process to Benefis Health System Foundation, Scholarship Program at 455-5840 or you may access the website at Benefis.org/Foundation. Completed applications must be submitted on-line by 11:59 pm, June 15, 2021.
Application Deadline: June 15 for fall and spring semesters
Applicants must submit the following criteria:
- Completed application form by designated deadline.
- Proof of academic standing from medical school.
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which should be from a current professor.
- List of clinical rotations known as of scholarship deadline date.
- A letter stating reasons for choosing the area of medicine and your interest in serving the people of northcentral Montana in the future.