Beneficial Ways to Contribute
Giving is a private matter. It depends on your desires and your resources. You may have a greater ability to give than you realize. That’s why we offer a variety of giving options.
Retirement Assets, Estates, Bequests
- Retirement assets. A gift of your retirement assets at your death, such as your IRA, 401k, 403b, pension, or other tax-deferred plan, is an excellent way to avoid the tax burden on your heirs while improving healthcare programs at Benefis.
- Estates. You may wish to leave your home or farm to Benefis Foundation in return for a charitable tax deduction you can enjoy now. You can deed your property to Benefis but keep the right to use it for the rest of your life.
- Bequests. You can leave a gift through your will or living trust.
Charitable Trusts, Charitable Gift Annuities, Montana Endowment Tax Credit
- Charitable trusts. You may create a charitable trust – a set of assets you sign over to Benefis Foundation to be held and managed for a designated period with interest going to Benefis. Charitable trusts are a win-win. Benefis benefits from funding, while you access otherwise unavailable tax breaks.
- Charitable gift annuity. This is a simple contract between you and Benefis Foundation. In exchange for your gift of cash, securities, or other assets, the Foundation agrees to pay one or two annuitants a fixed sum each year for life. A charitable gift annuity entitles you to a charitable income tax deduction.
- Montana endowment tax credit. Your home state encourages philanthropy. Montanans may earn a 40 percent state income tax credit for a five-year planned gift to Benefis Foundation of up to $10,000. Corporate outright gifts qualify for a 20 percent credit up to $10,000.
Stocks, Bonds, IRAs, Mutual Funds
- Stocks and bonds. A gift of appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy way for you to make a much-needed gift to Benefis Foundation. It also lets you receive a charitable income tax deduction and avoid capital gains tax.
- IRAs and mutual funds. In the same way as stocks and bonds, you can make a gift of your professionally managed collections of investments and retirement accounts.
Real Estate, Crops, Livestock
- Real estate. Real property may be gifted to Benefis Foundation through a deed transfer of your home, vacation property, vacant land, farmland, ranch, or commercial property. Our programs benefit, and you receive a charitable income tax deduction, avoid capital gains tax, and leave a priceless legacy.
- Crops and livestock. It can be easy for ranchers to share a bountiful harvest with Benefis Foundation through a simple transfer of ownership. There is no need to sell and incur income and self-employment tax. The transfer allows Benefis Foundation to sell the commodity while the rancher receives special tax breaks.
Gifts of Cash and Time
- One-time giving and monthly giving. It’s easy to set up a tax-deductible single or ongoing gift through a secure payment link on our website. Let us know if your employer is matching your gift, too. Gifts from businesses are welcome and just as easy.
- Matching gifts. Check with your Human Resources department to see if your company offers a matching charitable gift program. When you use the secure payment link on our website to make your donation, you can enter the name of your employer – effectively doubling your donation.
- Volunteering. As a volunteer, you can meet new people, enjoy the satisfaction of helping others, and provide a valuable service to Benefis. Learn more.